Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Info on middlemen

Posted by Dave on August 03, 1998 at 16:55:12:

I don't know if this is pertinent to this discussion, but if anyone knows anything about this stuff (cuz I don't) or could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Here's the skinny:

A friend leased his personal apartment (through an agent who handles corporate leases) to a company called Mikka Design Corp. He thought Mikka would put one of their employees in the apartment: a simple corporate apartment arrangement. It turns out that Mikka itself is an agency and sublets his apartment to its tenants, charging them $600 more than Mikka is supposed to pay according to the lease agreement. Now Mikka is 2 months in arrears. Here's some more background info:

The same agent that handled my friend's apartment handles the corporate leasing needs of a company I do business with. She placed two employees of this company in a building managed by RiverRidge Properties. RiverRidge's tenants, about six months ago, started receiving eviction notices because RiverRidge wasn't paying the building's owners. RR claimed administrative error when they were called about it. The building "fired" this management company and hired a company called, you got it, Mikka Design Corp, to handle its building management.

There is good evidence that RiverRidge Properties and Mikka are in fact the same company under different names and that Mikka may also be doing business under the name MDM.

Has anyone heard about this/these Companies? Where can I find out more about a management company's background. I have Mikka's tax ID number. Is there any info I can get based on that? Is there an agency in New York that deals with management companies the same way they deal with other tenant issues?

Also: I know that in a sublet you can't charge more than 10% for furnishings. But Mikka didn't provide the furnishings. The apartment is provided furnished to them by the owner!

Thanks for your help.
David

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name