Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord wants to charge me for damaged carpet and flooding from a corroded hose bib that broke while disconnecting the hose to the washer..IS THAT LEGAL?

Posted by Shawn C. on August 06, 1998 at 14:59:36:

I live in Houston, TX on the second floor of an apartment.
Landlord wants to charge me for damaged carpet and flooding from a corroded hose bib that broke while disconnecting the hose to the washer..IS THAT LEGAL?
I heard that the maintaince is suppose maintain plumbing in the apartment and we were removing the hose to the washer for the HOT water and the hose bid broke off and water poured everywhere and the apartment below. The only way to shut it off was the water main. The maintaince person lives 30 minutes away and so buy the time he got there, the water was up to 1 inch of water in the living room. He also cut up the carpet and tried to dry it out..I didn't tell him too...How can they charge me over a $800.00 when I would think it would be apartment negligence to not maintain this hose bib because it was corroded and green... Someone told me that the apartments have to maintain the plumbing and check it every 2 years or so, IS THIS TRUE?? It must not have been done..Where can I find information on this subject??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name