Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Help!!!!Need to break lease 2 mo early

Posted by dije on August 14, 1998 at 19:20:01:

My husband and I need to break our lease 2 months early. We gave notice Aug 6, and are moving out Aug 18, and we paid until Aug 31. We're moving because of a job offer, so we really couldn't give any more notice since they need me right away. We received a letter from our landlord says we have to give 60 days notice, and our last payment is due Aug 15. I'm afraid that he means the payment for the entire lease, Sept and Oct rent. He already has two months' rent ($1900) as sec. deposit. Ack! We don't want to pay another $1900, and we're afraid that since we didn't give 60 days notice, he's going to sit on his ass and not try to rent it. It doesn't say anywhere in our lease we have to give 60 days notice, it only mentions a 60 day notice in a paragraph concerning rent stabilized apartments, which does not apply to us. In addition, as mentioned in my previous post, we had some problems wiht a collpased ceiling that was not fixed in a timely manner, so we thought he'd be more reasonable. Please, somebody help us, should/ do we have to pay the last couple month's rent? Is he required to try and rent the place? Please, no "fuck him" advice--we still have to rent our next apartment in CA, and we really don't need collectors coming after us or attorneys suing us. Help!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name