Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Violation of Lease before moving in - help!

Posted by Linda Lam on August 19, 1998 at 18:44:39:

Hi,
I signed a lease with my landlord in May. I purposely did not tell him that I was planning to sublet the apartment for June, July, August because he told my roomate that subletting is not allowed in the apartment building and my rommate asked me not to talk about it. I paid the rent for the first three months ($1050). But I cut a deal with a friend and asked him to pay me ($420) when I come back from summer vacation. My friend called me yesterday and informed me that before he moved in the apartment in June, the landlord find out that I didn't notify him about the sublet. The landlord then sign an agreement with my friend (without notifying me) and ask him to pay $140 a month for three months and let him moved into my apartment.
My question is, can an apartment unit not allow subletting? Even though I violate the lease before I move in, does this give the landlord the right to take my full three month rent and charge extra rent on my friend? Now, I cannot collect from my friend, if I file a claim with the small claim courts, how much can I get back? What risk will I be taking? Thank you in advance for your response.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name