Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: roommate who won't pay rent

Posted by me on October 07, 1998 at 11:50:19:

In Reply to: roommate who won't pay rent posted by kathleen on October 05, 1998 at 14:47:30:

Standard Operating Procedure is to use security as last X months rent (depending on the ammount of security) ...almost
always as at least THE last month's rent. Most ppl do it to get their security back from land lords who don't EVER return it
or as a safe guard against such things. Afraid there's not much you can do except use the security for th erent adn move on.

: here's my situation: my roommate upon moving in agreed to the standard first and last months
: rent, and additional one month security. i made it clear that the two month security
: would be returned on the day he moved out, provided there were no outstanding damages
: he would be responsible for. he now claims that the last two months of his tenancy
: are covered by security, and will not pay rent.

: i told him he would have to pay september and october rent, plus the late fee for september.
: he wrote a check and it bounced. now october rent is due, and he still has not
: paid. he took back the bounced check, so i can't re-issue it to my bank. can i issue a notice to
: pay both months rent due within three days, or move out?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name