Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: tenants rights re: wheelchair access to bldgs

Posted by Nora on October 19, 1998 at 18:07:10:

In Reply to: tenants rights re: wheelchair access to bldgs posted by Jeremy Megraw on October 19, 1998 at 17:22:11:

: The front entrance to my Manhattan apartment building (built 1940) is currently being renovated to replace the concrete floor of the entrance. A fellow tenant recently took this opportunity to renew his long-standing request, for ramp-access (he is wheelchair-bound) to the building, be incorporated into the current plans for renovation. Is his request reasonable in legal terms?

: Are NYC building owners bound to any ADA or related local mandate to accomodate disabled persons during the design and performance of renovations to entrances even if to an old building?
: Thanks for any advice.

I had occasion last year to call Lawyers for the Public Interest, in Manhattan, who handle ADA cases. My neighbor had been disabled and was wheelchair-bound. I was told, at that time, that a private building doesn't fall under the same regulations for Americans With Disabilities Act, that only public buildings were mandated to provide disabled access.
I was also told that the disabled would have to pay for the renovation or addition of access ramps in a private building.

You might want to call them again and see if the situation is the same.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name