Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: HELP-"New Leasable Space" destabilizatoin info.

Posted by Lilly Thall on October 24, 1998 at 08:39:02:

In Reply to: HELP-"New Leasable Space" destabilizatoin info. posted by Alan on October 21, 1998 at 23:40:09:

: I recently remember reading somewhere, (I think it was here on Tenant Net) that there is a Rent Stabilization regulation that permits Landlords to destabilize apartments if they change the physical space (e.g., knock out a wall and make a 1 bedroom into a large studio, or divide 1 room into two).

: Is anyone familiar with this regulation, and can you tell me the statute that applies? I think the phrase that describes the newly-renovated apartment is "New Leasable Space."

There are provisions for "first rents" if they change the outside dimensions of a unit or a gut rehab. In short they discard the old rental history and treat it as if it were a newly-created unit. The DHCR material has info on this.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name