Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Turn on the heat! 212 960 4800

Posted by landlord hater on October 30, 1998 at 21:03:50:

In Reply to: Turn on the heat! posted by james cohrssen on October 30, 1998 at 19:42:25:

: Hey, it's getting cold here in Brooklyn.
: When do they have to turn my heat on?

The heating season begins October 1 and runs to May 31 every year.
If the outside temp is 55 or below from 6 am to 10 pm then the inside temp must be at least 68 degrees and from 10 pm to 6 am if the temp is 40 degrees or less then the inside temp must be at least 55 degrees . Those are the absolute minimum inside temps allowed and are a blessing to slum landlords because we all know how cold 55 degrees is in an apt. Why the
Health Dep't allows 55 degrees inside temp from 10 pm to 6 am is really a mind blower. I can't understand how they allow it to be law. There are also landlords who collect a few thousand a month that use those heat law figures as set by law. I suggest you visit the following web site and read the information provided there. It is the NY State Atty General Tenant Handbook. It is: www.oag.state.ny.us/business/tenantgu.html
All NYC tenants should read and memorize it. Another thing to do is to
either join Met Council or subscribe to their monthly paper called TENANT. The subscription was $2.50 ( two dollars and fifty cents) a year last year.They print the heat laws in the paper. Every tenant in NYC should read that paper. At about 20 cents a month you can't beat it. You can call them at 212-693-0550 M W F 1:30 to 5 pm. and ask them questions regarding tenant rights. If you don't get heat then call 212 960 4800 and file a heat complaint , call the landlord tell them, also send a certified letter of warning regarding holding rent and try as hard as you possibly can to get a rent stabilized apt. if this one isn't. good luck !!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name