Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Trying to rent my first apartment - unsure of how stable I appear

Posted by Danielle on November 01, 1998 at 03:01:44:

I graduated from college May 1997, after living in an apartment on a lease co-signed by me, my roommate and our parents. My landlady was basically a witch who was rather delinquent in tending to our basic needs. For example: toilet constantly overflowing - not our fault, terrible heat and $300 electric heat bills- absolutely no insulation, didn't return interest on deposit AND unreasonably deducted from security. I was the roommate who dealt with her on these issues. Except for the interest on the deposit and security deduction problem, I never sent her a letter.

Since then, I have lived with my father (didn't pay rent). I have been employed by 2 different employers since Sept. 97, the first for almost a year (temping) and the second since June.

How does this make me appear in terms of renting an apartment and signing a lease by myself?
Are landlords willing to rent to young people with a short (NOT unstable) history of employment and renting?
I am also afraid that I can't list my former landlord as a renting reference because she hated me- even though we were quiet, always paid the rent on time, left the place in decent condition (the place was falling apart so it was kind of hard to tell).
If a potential landlord or broker requires a previous rental reference, should I not give the former landlord as one in fear that she will exagerate or lie? Should I mention that she was not responsible in providing basic upkeep of the apartment?

Danielle

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name