Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: security deposit

Posted by e.buchet on November 02, 1998 at 07:40:46:

In Reply to: Re: security deposit posted by Mark Smith on November 01, 1998 at 22:49:30:

: : My wife, my two daughters and myself moved out of a single family brownstone in Park Slope 45 days ago. My landlord, who lived downstairs in the building and I fought over heat and hot water for the 5 years I resided there. I finally woke up this past year and called the heat complaint line and he was indeed summoned for insufficient hot water. Every year he raised my rent %12 and collected additional deposit. That deposit now totals $3600 and 45 days later he has still not returned it. I know he is going to claim damages to the apartment although I spent four days cleaning and patching picture hanger holes. He never painted the apartment in the five years I lived there and my stove didn't work for three months which I noted on rent checks each of those months. What do I do to make sure the scumbag pays?
: :
: : Fumeing in Brooklyn

:
: Unfortunately, Small Claims courts in New York have a limit of $3,000 on claims. Your security deoosit exceeds that amount, without any claims for warranty of habitability. You could sue for $3,000 of the security, and give up your claim for the the rest of the security deposit. Or you could sue in regular Civil Court, which has a limit of $25,000. There may be a pro se part with clerks that can help you file. You might also complain to the Attorney General's office to see if they can help you with the security deposit.
Thanks Mark, someone else mentioned the Attorney Generals Office. I'll check that out.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name