Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Chimney repairs

Posted by Michael on November 02, 1998 at 12:04:40:

Hi, I could use a little help in solving a situation with my landlord. I am renting a rent stabilized brownstone studio apt. in Manhattan with the landlord in residence, and over the past few years some problems have come up with the chimney. The situation has recently gone from only having small fires, to no use of the fireplace at all. When the landlord, my upstairs neighbor, was contacted his attitude seemed to be if you want it fixed the fix it,if you don't like it move I can rent the aptartment without the fireplace working and get more rent than you pay now.

I really don't want this to get ugly, and he has offered at different times $30.00/month off the rent or to pay one third of the roughly $2000 repair. Both of these options seem ridiculous to me. I've been thinking of putting the rent in an escrow account until the repairs are made, but I'm not sure how to proceed any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name