Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Need to know the realities of evictions

Posted by Kimberly on November 16, 1998 at 00:45:14:

Ok, I'm looking for an easy way out of our 12 mos lease, 6 mos early. The problem is there is NO termination clause in the lease. I posted the entire situation below under the subject line "Need a way out of lease 6 mos early".

Update on that situation, we called the rental office anonymously pretending to be interested in renting here and asked what would happen if we got a raise after living here a couple months and it made our income higher than the requirements. How soon would we have to look for new housing, etc? They replied, when you move in here we assume you will get a raise from your current job eventually. You will still be allowed to live here. --Now the lease mentions if our income situation changes we would have to go thru a new evualtion, but they didn't mention that so I'm assuming you're stuck here no matter what.

The lease also mentions about abandoning the property. I guess this could be an option but I don't want any problems with the law. I guess I don't mind if they ruin my credit for a few years but I really do not want to go to court.

We have received a "warning" (given to all renters at this property, not just our family) that if you're late with the rent they will start eviction proceedings or they will evict you, I forget the way it was worded. I just read on the net that if you're late with rent they can notify you to pay or leave the property in 3 days. What would happen if we did not pay the rent and chose to leave in 3 days? Could they press charges or take us to court for anything? What exactly would this do to our credit and how long until that cleans up?

We are DESPERATE to get out of here and even considered self-eviction for fear of safety or other things (no problems with maintenance--unfortunately). Can anyone offer some advice to me? What would happen if we tried to self-evict or waited till they evict us?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name