Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Succession

Posted by TenantNet on November 26, 1998 at 03:47:35:

In Reply to: Re: Succession posted by DK on November 20, 1998 at 00:11:13:

: : The lease on the NYC apt. where I live in, is in the name of my sibling who is alive and well, but no longer wants to live in the apt. I have lived there for several years. The apt.is rent stablized. Where can I find NYC succession laws? Can I be evicted or considered a sublet?

: The succession rules for rent stabilized apartments are contained in section 2523.5 of the Rent Stabilization Code. Also look at section 2520.6 (n) and (o) for the definitions of "family member." If you both occupied the apartment at the same time as your primary residence for at least two years, you're entitled to succession rights.

We have a special section on succession rights on the web site. It's a little dense and the previous message puts it in a nutshell. If you lived there 2 or more years at the same time as the leaseholder, and if you are a qualifying relative (that was tightened up a bit in 1997) then you have succession rights under rent stabilization. You may have to fight for that right though.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name