Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: must landlords provide ovens and refrigerators

Posted by DK on December 01, 1998 at 12:22:59:

In Reply to: must landlords provide ovens and refrigerators posted by Ethan on November 30, 1998 at 14:08:51:

I don't see anything in the Housing Maintenance Code which requires a landlord to provide a refrigerator or a stove. The only kitchen requirements I can find in the Housing Maintenance Code (section 27-2070) are that the landlord provide gas or electricity or both for cooking and that the kitchen or kitchenette have running water with a sink with a waste pipe and trap.

If your are rent stabilized, it would be a reduction in services not to provide appliances that were provided to previous tenants.

: It seems like such a simple question, but I can't find an answer. I hope that someone out there can help.

: In one sentence: are landlords required to provide an oven and a refrigerator?

: In a few more sentences: I am about to sign a lease on an apartment in Brooklyn. The entire building has been recently renovated. However, due to the work, all earlier appliances have long since been removed (if indeed they were there in the first place).
: Am I now really obligated to purchase these large and costly items that I have always found on hand in other places or can I insist that the landlord provide? (The boiler plate lease makes no mention of any of this. Just the provision of basic utilities, i.e., hot and cold water, gas, electricity, etc.)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name