Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Roommate Moving

Posted by DK on December 01, 1998 at 12:28:45:

In Reply to: Roommate Moving posted by Mr. Buzzcut on November 30, 1998 at 17:52:34:

You're right that both co-tenants on a lease are jointly and severally liable for the whole rent. On the other hand, unless you agreed otherwise, your roommate is responsible to you for his half of the rent.

Why don't you find another roommate. Even if your lease prohibits it, the landlord cannot object. You should get your old roommate's approval to have the new roommate takeover.

: My roommate and I are both on the lease. He is leaving to take a job out of state. I know that some states adhere to the joint and several liability doctrine, meaning that I'd be stuck with the entire rent should my roommate not find a replacement.

: Is this the same in NYS and, if so, what legal remedies if any, would I have against my roommate, in lieu of a written roommate agreement. Is his obligation merely a moral one, or is there an implied agreement based on the previous months?

: Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name