Posted by Jodi on December 12, 1998 at 19:04:20:
I have a really complicated situation:
I sublet (verbal agreement for now over 2 years) in Brooklyn the
top floor of a two-story warehouse (original lease is commercial). We live
here - building old enough to bypass commercial zoning, but definately not
up to code.
The building was bought by someone, and the lease runs out next year.
We want to continue living here, and hopefully have our own lease but:
1. Landlord wants space for themselves or a friend.
2. We estimate $10,000 worth of work has been done on space since we moved
in. Can we take the toilets, baths etc? - If we don't get paid for it.
3. How long can we reside here past the lease date? How long to evict? If
it's technically a commercial lease (even though they know we live here)
can they just enter the premises after the lease runs out and chuck our
stuff on the street?
4. No heat has ever been provided - is that legal?
5. What the hell are our rights in ths situation?
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup