Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Carpet, paint, heat, utilities

Posted by Lorna on December 16, 1998 at 12:25:12:

I rent a cottage in Orlando that was built in the 1950's. The carpet was, by my estimations, at least 10 to 15 years old. It hadn't been painted in at least 4 or 5 years old. There is only one fan-forced heating unit. The house has a lot of jalousy windows which means heating and cooling costs are outrageous. (The cottage is only about 600-650 sq. ft., yet in the summer months the electricity normally runs me about $80-90. I NEVER leave lights and don't run the window AC units all the time.)

I have painted, torn up old filthy, dust-laden carpet, scraped up mildewed linoleum and installed new linoleum. What is my landlord's responsibility in all this? Should she be required to pay for installation of new carpet. Shouldn't the cottage have been painted between tenants? What does the law say about providing a domicile that is "liveable"? What about health codes?

I don't want to piss my landlord off, but I'm sick of busting MY ass to make the place liveable!

Sorry this is so long. I have A LOT of questions. I'm really frustrated. HELP!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name