Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Check with DHCR

Posted by jerry on December 29, 1998 at 21:09:40:

In Reply to: should my apartment be rent-controlled/stabilized? posted by Dave on December 29, 1998 at 03:28:13:

An apt. is subect to rent control (in NYC) if it has contained the same tenant continuously since July 1, 1972. If an apt. is subject to rent stabilization is a little more complicated to determine. In the simple situation, check with DHCR 718-739-6400. They will tell you if the apartment and/or building was ever subject to rent regulation. Also, check lease language; ask neighbors if their apt's are rent stabilized -- if your rent is not over $2,000, chances are if there are other rs apts in bldg, yours is or should be.

The general rule is if apt. building has 6 or more units and was built before a certain date, you should have rs status. This rule is subject to many qualifications. To make it easier to respond accurately, you should post info re your building: no. of units, age of building, length of your tenancy, results of looking at lease and checking with DHCR and neighbors.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name