Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Ending lease with my slumlord -- need advice

Posted by Will on March 29, 1999 at 10:53:17:

In Reply to: Ending lease with my slumlord -- need advice posted by Grace Caldwell on March 29, 1999 at 09:42:10:

You're not going to like this buy if you didn't ask for permission to do all that stuff. Especially painting the formica he will probably charge you for removal of everything an the stripping off the paint from the formica. If he is really an arse he will try to charge for replacing the formica.

A word of advise..when renting an apartment do as little as possible next time and if you have to get written permission to do so.

Also check out any FL link at the entry point of this web site http://tenant.net

Will
: Have meeting with landlord this Wed (3/31) at noon. Finalizing what portion of security deposit I can expect back. He has a notorious reputation for being a money-grubbing miser ... so I expect to do battle, but need ammunition. I gave ample notice to leave. Rented 2 bdrm condo for 2 years. When I moved in I painted ugly formica cabinets in kitchen, replaced hideous lighting fixtures in bathroom & dining room, replaced god-awful ceiling fan and light in kitchen and added ceiling fans to living room and bdrms. Also added decorative mirror at bar in kitchen and left mini blinds in the bedrooms where nothing existed before. Scrubbed my fingers to the bone cleaning after the move. Damage included a bathroom door that had to be replaced (it was a hollow door) and some formica damage (minimal) in the kitchen. My two kids had numerous handprints on the walls, since the paint wasn't washable, unit needed to be repainted. A little, history ... when I moved in, it needed painting in the worst way. Landlord bought paint and I paid to have it painted. What can he legitimately hold against me and what can I ante up on my side? I live in Florida. Help! I need answers asap please. thanks, Grace

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name