Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Being sued

Posted by Sam on April 02, 1999 at 09:56:51:

In Reply to: Being sued posted by Beckie on March 31, 1999 at 15:27:03:

: Hi I had a meeting with a lawyer and was told to file a counterclaim of constructive eviction.
: She ssaid I need to have witnesses to my claim of noise but how can I go about finding them. The
: The people I can think of still live there and I know wouldn't own up to haing the parties.
: I found one person who went to the parties but he's worried about getting in trouble with the people
: who live there if they find out he said something. THis is on upstate NY.
: I've paid her 625.00 of the rent owed but have stippoed payment since she filed the
: papers against me. What can I do to prove my grounds for leaving?

File the counterclaim, add other counterclaims: see Housing Court section of
What kind of court is the landlord suing you in? Proof is easier in Small Claims than in Housing/Civil Court; read about SC on
Did you report the parties to the police? other authorities (school?)? Get a report.
Did you write letters to the landlord? Bring them to court.
You can also subpeona people and/or papers: read about that in the Lenaox Hill brochure on, under Organizing.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name