Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I thought I saw a mouse...Apartment access

Posted by Lawrence Little on April 03, 1999 at 16:13:45:

4/3/99
My Wife and I live as a tenant in the basement apartment of a Brownstone in New York City. Currently we only have access in and out of the apartment through one door (the main entrance to and from street side of apartment). There was an exit to the back yard however the landlord has sealed this exit and put up a wall to prohibit access to the area. They have also put locks on a door that would allow access from the basement to the first floor level. I travel allot and my wife is sometimes left alone in the apartment. We have repeatedly asked to have the door to the first floor opened to a least allow access incase of a fire or any other emergency, all to no avail. Recently the ongoing problem we have had with rodents has gotten out of hand.

The landlord claims that since we are tenants in a "PRIVATE HOUSE" that the responsibilities to provide two ways access and care for rodent problems falls on the tenants.

Is this true? If not what recourse do I have to have these problems rectified?

LL>

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name