TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: noise

Posted by An Irate NYorker on April 06, 1999 at 11:01:45:

In Reply to: Re: noise posted by John E. Marre on April 03, 1999 at 00:39:25:

: If you are in New York City...
: Mere suggestions from one who suffered from a similar situation:
: 1. Keep a record of dates and times of day when noise happens.
: 2. Describe the noise to the best of your ability (dropping heavy objects on floor, playing radio/stereo - I could even quote the radio announcers and promised to contact the radio station for evidence -, dropping shoes, etc.)
: 3. Telephone your local police when the disturbance happens. Be sure to let them know that you will be at home waiting for them to arrive. Call as often as is necessary. They'll be reluctant. The police are like that. But you must be persistent. There are laws (Rudy's "Quality of Life" bunk) prohobiting such disturbances. (Personal observation: From years of living in NYC, I'd swear this became an issue because of the great influx of non-native New Yorkers who are under the the improper impression that this city "never sleeps" and neither do its inhabitants. Your post and this message should serve as a rude "wake-up" call... New York City never sleeps... New York City residents DO. Thank you.)
: 4. When you've gotten this done, send certified/return receipt letter of complaint to the co-op board president and be sure to let them know that you are a rent-controlled tenant and that you are willing to take the matter to court if the interference with your "right to peaceful enjoyment" of your apartment is not ceased immediately.

OR do like I'm doing...move into a house. Though I love this city, unfortunately until I can afford one of those 10 million dollar apartments or townhouses on park ave or wherever, I'm going home and buying a house, paying a mortgage lower than my rent, and am finally *Free* from slum landlords, roaches, vermin, noisy neighbors, and other such un-niceties. I'll be back to visit tho! Good luck! I sympathize with you!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name