Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: New Jersey: Sleeping on brother's couch while I conduct a Job search. Landlord wants me to pay an additional $600/month.

Posted by Susan on April 08, 1999 at 10:48:19:

In Reply to: New Jersey: Sleeping on brother's couch while I conduct a Job search. Landlord wants me to pay an additional $600/month. posted by Mark on April 07, 1999 at 11:02:20:

:
: O.K., I have been staying on and off with my brother and his roomate in Hoboken while conducting a job search for the last two months. The landlord is a Nazi. A few weeks back I ran into her and she told me I could stay as long as I like as long as I pay her an additional $600/month. This morning I ran into her and she is threatening to take me and/or my brother to court. I would love to tell the women to go to hell. I have enough stress in my life. Where do I stand?

: Marcus

:I am in a similar circumstance, my landlord wants to charge me for overnight guests. From what I understand, the landlady has no right to be charging you extra. Even if your lease says one thing I know the laws in NY cover having a family member stay an extended amount of time, you should check on this website for laws covering NJ, I don't think it would be very different. She has no right what so ever to be charging you extra money. She is charging you for the use of the apt not by occupancy. Also check with your Attorney General because you can file a complaint with them.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name