Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

refusing your sublet could be grounds to terminate the lease

Posted by Will on April 14, 1999 at 00:23:06:

In Reply to: breaking lease vs. subletting posted by susanne on April 13, 1999 at 20:30:09:

If the person had good credit and job and the landlord denies the sublease it could be grounds to terminate the lease. You have to make the request in writing. The landlord has 30 days to respond at which point you can give 30 days notice. If you get my drift you might be better off walking away..but look the lease over because in addition to the security deposit you could be liable to pay rent until the apartment becomes occupied again.

Will

: My lease expires 3/31/00; I'm in a rent-stabilized apt. in NYC (Brooklyn). I'd like to break the lease, but the landlord assures me that in doing so, I will not get my security deposit back. I've also asked if I could assign the lease; she says that she will not permit it. (While I can ask for permission to have the lease assigned to someone else, she will deny it anyway, despite reasonable or unreasonable grounds). So, it seems like my only recourse is to sublet the apt.

: Does anyone know what criteria I should seek in finding someone to sublet that she will approve of? I'm afraid that the woman I'm looking to sublet to won't meet her "standards" and will therefore claim reasonable objection (ie: financials, since the woman is a student/intern - I do feel confident that this woman will be able to afford the rent). If the landlord does object, it will delay my process in getting someone to sublet my apt. by June 99.

: The landlord is not someone who is open to reason or conversation; in fact, I fear that I will lose my security deposit no matter what.

: How should I proceed? And does anyone know how I might get a sublease contract? The laws in NYC state that I must submit a copy of the proposed sublease, signed by the subtenant prior to getting her approval.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name