Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: A neighbor from hell!

Posted by John E. Marre on April 17, 1999 at 17:54:06:

In Reply to: A neighbor from hell! posted by Tom and Melissa on April 17, 1999 at 13:27:30:

She may be honest... and she may be crazy too!
Sometimes, even in what looks like the best constructed apartment in the world, sound can travel through floors, walls and ceilings at an incredible rate. If you can hear the folks upstairs/next door, chances are, they can hear you too.
On the other hand, the bit about showers at "irregular" hours is just being nuts. I'd have to ask: is she (your neighbor) sitting in her bathroom, listening for you to bathe? (I had a neighbor, years ago, who complained about the same thing when I worked nights. We found out that she was actually sitting outside the bathroom, waiting. "Hello? Psychotic Friends Hotline?")
Sorry... she really doesn't have much recourse about the showers. You can't be told what hours to work. Therefore, you can't be told when to clean yourself.
Meanwhile, if she sends you anything, keep it. Respond, in kind, but not in haste. Be to the point and genteel, indicating what steps you have taken to rectify the situation and that you sincerely hope that this relieves the problem.
If she continues, you might want to consider sending her a "registered letter", calmly indicating that you have done all possible to rectify her inconveniences and that her further steps appear to be simple harassment and that you are prepared to pursue all possible means to stop her harassment.
But, DO be sure to walk in socks as much as possible. Footsteps is a common complaint among a lot of tenants.
Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name