Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Probably not

Posted by Will on April 22, 1999 at 14:31:58:

In Reply to: Succession Rights in NYC - do I qualify if my roommate is my best friend posted by julie on April 22, 1999 at 14:11:58:

For nonrelated roommates to have succession right you basically have to show domestic partner(aka lover) relationship. Shared bank accounts, named on each other wills, people who will testify that your relationship was real. Some gay couples who have been together for over 20 years sometimes have trouble showing these things. Afterall, many never wanted to rock the boat so to speak and deal with banks, insurance companies, and lawyers with regards to their relationship.

Will

: I have lived w my current roommate for 2 years. I'm not on the lease and she wants to move out. The landlord wants to kick me out, rennovate and then charge over $2000 so the apt is not rent stabalized anymore. Do I qualify for succession rights? We do have a financial and emotional relationship, not of a sexual nature, but that isn't required from the information I've read on succession rights. Anyone who knows how the courts would view this situation, please respond. Much thanks! Julie 212-235-4673

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name