Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: nosy landlady tells us what to do all the time -- Please help SOON!!!!!

Posted by MJH on April 22, 1999 at 22:06:45:

In Reply to: nosy landlady tells us what to do all the time -- Please help SOON!!!!! posted by a.w. on April 17, 1999 at 12:31:51:

I don't think that there is abuse, irritation maybe, but not abusive (unless you feel threatened). I know that this is difficult to maintain composure, but as a Christian, you need to maintain your compassion for this woman. She may have you as her only outlet, reaching for attention. She's old and old people do tend to be less sensitive to our needs of privacy, yet demanding their own. Jesus says we should love our enemies. Love, compassion and gentleness. Love her to death, but kindly and respectfully express your feelings of wanting to be more private, and that you don't want to listen to her complaining all the time. Honesty does wonders with the elderly. As I see it, you have two avenues: 1) Put up with her as mentioned, 2) find another dwelling. But be sure to compare your list of damages before you moved in and how you leave the place - so that you may regain your security deposit. Make sure those things, like leaky plumbing, is written and discussed with her. She may consider it your responsibility and withhold your deposit. And, be sure to give your 30 day notice at the beginning of your rental period so that you won't get pro-rated for the next month's rent and have it withheld from your deposit (something we're dealing with our "old - elderly" landlords). Keep the faith!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name