Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Evicted for being separated?

Posted by Will on April 26, 1999 at 12:14:00:

In Reply to: Evicted for being separated? posted by Sue on April 26, 1999 at 09:15:53:

If and when this gets to court. You will be given 3 days to pay all the backrent. Pay your rent via certified letter when you can and state that you intend to hold up you obligations with regards to the lease and you expect hime to do the same. He may try refusing it..but that won't wash in court. He can not break the lease if your name is on it. And like I said even if gets to court you'll be given an opportunity to pay what's due. Be forwarned when your lease is up he can give 30 days notice to terminate at that point...start saving your money.

Will

:
: I have been in this house for 4 years, I have another years lease on these premises. I have kept the premises in very good condition. I have paid my rent mostly on time for the past 4 years. This month because of a reduction in my income I sent my landlord a letter explaining I would not be able to pay the rent until two weeks after my due date, my landlord called me and I explained I was recently separated and my income was reduced I did voice my concerns about my being able to afford this house until the end of my lease. He said I could leave if I wanted to leave that I could. We both agreed that if I can find affordable housing somewhere else then I could leave by August 15th, I was clear that I thought I could continue to stay. Three days later I was sent a letter saying I'm in default and the four days later my house was listed for rent in the local paper. I was told he is telling prospective tenants that I will be out by June 1. I never agreed to this when I told the landlord there is no way I could leave June 1 because I had no money for deposits on another home he ignored me. What do I do?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name