Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: lease expired; rent doubled. help.

Posted by Will on April 28, 1999 at 12:04:58:

In Reply to: lease expired; rent doubled. help. posted by Mia on April 27, 1999 at 16:52:43:

You'll need to contact DHCR to see if your specific apartment is rent stabilized. If it is then rent increases are limited: this year its 2% for 1 year lease, and 4% for a 2 year lease. Buts that about to change because they're in the middle of determining what current increase should be. By law he has to send you a renewal notice automatically and you pay no asked for increase until you receive such paperwork. If you are stabilized get the rent history for the apartment copy it, and send it to the landlord and tell them you expect a renewal and increase based on rent guidelines....btw, even if your income dictacted moving the apartment out stabilzation the landlord would have to file the necessary paperwork first before de-regulating it....

Since you may not be stabilized you might be considered a month to month now that you have no lease. Which means the landlord can make increase, and terminate occupancy with 30 days notice.

Will

: i've lived in my apartment in brooklyn for 2 and 1/2 years. i had a 1 year lease that expired. i hounded the building manager for 2 months to renew it. finally she did, my rent stayed the same. that lease expired in december and i didn't bother getting it renewed again. i was never sent a renewal lease form, and was never contacted otherwise about renewing my lease. so i've just continued to pay the rent i've always payed. i recently got a message on my answering machine from the landlord saying that the building manager had my new lease and my new rent was double what i'm paying now, and that i'm to sign it or vacate the premises. my rent is under $2000 and i may less than $175,000/year, so i believe my apartment is rent stabalized (or regulated).

: what are my rights in this situation? is my previous lease still in effect? can my rent be raised more than 20%. how should i approach my land lord in response to the issue? if he can double my rent, how much time does he have to give me to move out? if i don't move out, how long will it take to evict me?

: also, i know the building is in some process of being sold (i don't know if everything's been finalized or they're still working on it). i wonder if this is just a way to get me out of the building with out evicting me. if the new building owner wants to move into my apartment, how much time do they have to give me to move out?

: thanks,
: mia

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name