Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

rent overcharge

Posted by Mimi on April 28, 1999 at 15:55:31:

I've been living in a rent stabilized apartment since 11/95.I just looked into my rent history and found that the landlord registered the place in 1999 for $676 and in 1997 for $650. But prior to that, the place hadn't been registered since 1986--and then at a rent of $175. There have been no major renovations that I know of beyond replacing the windows. (Its still a my-bathtub-is-in-my-kitchen kind of apartment.) I talked to someone at GOLES who explained my options regarding filing an overcharge. And I checked out the postings at this site. It seems that Court is the way to go. But a lot of my friends seem to think I should leave well-enough alone since I already have a below market rent. I'm concerned that my landlords (who live in my building -- below me and across from me) could make my life hell. And I don't know how much I really stand to save/make. Any opinions on whether or not it is worth it? Personal experience?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name