Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: AC installation denied by LL -- legal?

Posted by Will on April 29, 1999 at 16:24:52:

In Reply to: AC installation denied by LL -- legal? posted by mimi on April 29, 1999 at 15:29:17:

Unless the landlord is paying for electricity and the lease specifies NO AC's then the landlord has no legal means to evict based soley on your use of an AC...however if the AC causes electrical damage eviction procedings may be in your future...
If you live in a regulated apartment this could be grounds for a reduction of rent because of a reduction of habitibility....

Will

: My landlord tells me that I can't install an AC in my apartment claiming that the electricity can't support it. Its true that my electric hasn't been upgraded. There's not a designated outlet for the refrigerator, much less a special outlet for AC like I've had in other apts. HOWEVER, other people in my building (including my 2 landlords who live in my building) do indeed have ACs. Does my landlord have the right to tell me I can't have one. Is it fair that some tenants have had their electricity upgraded and I haven't? Is it legal for me to try running AC without the permission of my landlord?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name: 
E-Mail: 
Subject: 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name