Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Someone robbed 6 apts. in my bldg. using keys Is LL Liable ?

Posted by Steph on April 30, 1999 at 16:26:14:

3, 1999 at 13:12:40:

In Reply to: Re: Super used keys to rob my apt. posted by TenantNet on March 21, 1999 at 10:02:55:

: It could have been the super, but your message doesn't indicate youhave actual proof. Be careful on slander unless you have
better evidence.If the LL knew the security was compromised and failed to inform tenantsor change the locks, he could
potentially be liable for negligence. Andif he knew, he probably knew when and where the keys were missing andhow they came
back to his or the super's possesion.: Please Help !! I live in a bldg. on Staten Island w/ approx. 11 apts. in it.: (No prior
problems w/ Building or Management, the bldg. is brand new) : (1 year old) 6 of these apts.: were robbed 2 weeks ago (Same
day). As per the Detective on the case : none of the apts. had any sign of forced entry & whoever came in probably had : keys .
All of the apts. have the same locks , 2 locks including a dead bolt, : which were installed by management, they hold the Master
Keys.: My question is can the landlord be held financially responsible for the : theft ? He admitted that someone had to have
gotten a hold of either : his or the supers key but doesn't know who. He then pr

He did change the locks (two weeks later) and that was only after I put notices up in the building to alert people to the situation (I
did this 6 days after everyone was robbed)
He then put out a notice stating that all of the locks would be changed. But initially everyone was robbed on a Thursday
I was away that weekend and did not notice anything missing until Sunday night & made a police report on Monday morning
is it considered negligence since the ll knew that people wer erobbed on thursday & he never alerted the tenants to it until over a
week later ?
I asume that I was robbed on that Thursday along w/ everyone else but what if I was robbed after that like on Friday or Saturday
would the landlord be responsible then for not alerting the tenants to this ? If that would have happened &
I had not been robbed allready I would have had my locks changed 1st thing Friday morning.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TenantNet Conference Area ] [ FAQ ]

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name: 
E-Mail: 
Subject: 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name