Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Being thrown out due to sale

Posted by Abbe on May 05, 1999 at 16:26:01:

Help. Advice needed. My fellow tenants and I (5 families total) recently got a letter that our building (a 7 unit brownstone on W 81st ST) has been sold and we have 60 days to get out. The owner has informed us to pay the current month's rent, use security deposit for June rent and she will give us $250 towards moving expenses and our sec. dep. interest if we leave the apt. broom clean. We all have the same type of lease which is not a lease but a Deposit Agreement which is open ended and continues unless she notifies us 90 days before a rent increase. My husband and I have lived there 4 years (3 deposit agreements--1st $1275 for 2 yrs, 2nd $1400 for 1 yr, 3rd/current $1500). Other tenants range from 2 months-2 yrs. I don't know if we have any rights to demand to stay longer or ask for more money. The interesting part is that since this has happened , we have done some investigating and found out that the building was never registered as Rent Stabilized. There are currently 7 units which would require stabilization, but the Certificate of Occupancy (dated 1971) states that there are only 5 units. Can we fight the landlord/owner on the grounds that the building should have been rent stabilized? What are our rights and what are we owed in that case?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name