Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Can the brother-in-law stay?

Posted by Ann on May 06, 1999 at 12:26:47:

I have a lease that expires July 31st in NYC. The building was sold last year to a new owner during my last lease and I had signed a renewal lease with the old owner and also then resigned the lease with the new owner(rent stablized). (I also think there may be serious code viloations on the apt building - especially wiring and remodeling of the apt.)

I got married last Sept.to my husband who has been living with me for the past 3 years in the NYC apt. The old land lord had full knowledge of him living there and that was fine.But he was not on the lease.

In December, my husband who is not on the current lease got a new job that required him to move to NJ. We took a second residence in NJ. In Dec his brother moved into the NYC apt. I had sent a copy of our marriage license and asked that my husband be added to the lease. They did not add him. Does his brother have a right as a family member to stay in our apt or take over the lease in July? The LL is trying to get him out and trying to blame vandalism on him that I know he did not commit. What can be done to me as I am the holder of the lease? Is the LL required to send me a renewal? I just want my brother in law to have a place to live and me not be hasseled with the whole NYC apt scene.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name