Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Lost Escrow

Posted by Diane on May 08, 1999 at 21:23:44:

I recently rented a house in Pa. I wrote 3 checks out. The 1st was for 1month security and last month. The 2nd for 1st month rent. The 3rd a refundable pet fee.
I recently spoke to the landlord, a rude young man, who informed me that the escrow money is in a bank listed on the lease. No statement with the accounts number is required. I have always gotten bank statements in the past from other rentals.When I looked at the lease it only listed 1 months rent in the escrow amount.
Today I got my checks back and they were both deposited into the same account. I suspect it was a personal account. I know the kid is in financial straits and had been trying to sell this house for a year before we rented it. He has already bought another house in another state, wife, 4 kids under 6, and he is only 25.
Can anyone give me some advise. What are the rules for escrow in this state? I gave the rental agent the checks, can I hold him responsible?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name