Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: What are the specifics here

Posted by Steve on May 12, 1999 at 10:03:05:

In Reply to: What are the specifics here posted by MikeW on May 11, 1999 at 11:41:52:

The co-op is in Michigan. It is a subsidized low to middle income housing project. Members pay "Occupancy charges" each month to cover the annual expenses of the community. Equity is accrued each year and is supposed to be given to the member when they move out. The problem is that they use this money to refurbish the units without notifying you as to what needs to be done. I sent letters asking what my responsibilities were but they did not respond. They just made repairs and sent us the difference. I think there is a violation of rights here and I'm looking for information that will help me understand my rights. We painted the unit before moving out. They claimed that the job was not good enough and charged us to paint it again. We cleaned the unit and they charged us for this as well. If you need more info, let me know. I really need help with this.

: What are the specifics of this coop? It doesn't sound like any type of coop I've heard of before. Is this in NYC or NY State? If so, is it Mitchell Lama, or some sort of subsidized middle income housing? Did you own the unit (actually, own shares to be specific), or were you renting from an owner?

: : I lived in a co-op townhouse for 15 years. Approximately $3000 of equity was built up during this time. Prior to moving out, requests were made (in writing) to the management and Board of Directors as to our obligations for painting & repairs. They would not respond with any specifics. We decided to paint the unit because we were warned they would charge us $850 for this. After about 4 months, they sent us the remainder of our equity. They deducted $850 for painting, and we were also charged for repairs and cleaning! The Landlord said, as co-op members, we are not protected by the "Landlord/Tenant" acts. Where can I get information about my rights as a co-op member? Most everything I have found relates to renters only. Can you point me in the right direction to find rights specific to Michigan?

: : Thank you,
: : Steve Melcher

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name