Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: refusal to return security

Posted by Mark Smith on May 17, 1999 at 08:39:15:

In Reply to: refusal to return security posted by sharon on May 16, 1999 at 16:10:43:

Why did you put the title of your message in lower case letters, while putting the entire message in all capital letters?

It sounds like you are living in an illegal apartment. If so, you can probably stop paying rent. As a practical matter, because you are moving so far away, the landlord won't be able to get any more money from you. If the landlord tries to evict you for non-payment, try not to be served personally. Then, if the landlord gets a default judgment against you, it should be for possession only -- and not for rent or use and occupancy.

: I RECENTLY GAVE MY LANDLORD NOTICE TO VACATE ON JUNE 23. WAS ADVISED THAT THEY WOULD NOT LET ME PUT MY SECURITY TOWARDS LAST MONTHS RENT. THEY CLAIMED I DID NOT VACUUM MY RUGS PROPERLY AND THAT THEY WOULD NEED TO BE REPLACED. THERE ARE ABOLSUTELY NO DAMAGES TO RUG AT ALL. I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR A PROFESSIONAL CLEANING. ALSO CLAIMED THAT APARTMENT WOULD NEED TO BE REPAINTED. ONLY PROBLEM HERE IS WEAR AND TEAR. I'VE LIVED HERE FOR 1 1/2 YEARS. THEY COMPLAINED ABOUT MY SMOKING AS WELL ENTERING THEIR HOME. TOLD ME I SAID I WAS AN OCCASIONAL SMOKER UPON MOVING IN. I ADMITTED TO BEING A LIGHT SMOKER, WHICH I THINK FOR THE MOST PART I AM (UNLESS TOTALLY STRESSED OUT).

: I HAVE WRITTEN LETTER ADVISING OF MY PROTEST. NOW I WILL BE MOVING TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTRY ON JUNE 23RD.

: JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF GIVING THEM MONEY FOR CLEANING RUGS AND CLEANING WOMAN IS GOOD ENOUGH. I WILL OBTAIN ESTIMATES AND GIVE THEM THESE WITH LETTER.

: ANY ONE IN A SIMILAR SITUATION.

: I LIVE IN A BASEMENT APARTMENT OF A ONE FAMILY HOME IN STATEN ISLAND NEW YORK.

: HELP.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name