Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Brooklyn, NY - classic unlawful eviction of "roommate"

Posted by Gary Niemcewicz on May 20, 1999 at 12:40:11:

Hi,

I am trying to help my girfriend with a pretty nasty situation she is in.

Basically, Ana shares an appartment with a legal lease holder (Maria), and Maria wants to throw Ana out because Maria's daughter is coming to the country to live with her.

The phone has been cut off (no 911 dial), the water is cut off from inside on and off, the new locks have been put on the main entry door. I have spoken to the landlord and he seems willing to help, but so far does nothing (perhaps he will, I don't know). There is one more occupant of the appartment, semi-willing to help (kinda neutral and easily scared).

We have mail addressed to Ana, possibly we will have neighbors' statement of legal residence over 30 days, but not a copy of a lease or utility bills (to prove legal residence).

Ana also removated her room a bit, and now she is losing it all becasue of the eviction. I am getting her outta there ASAP (a month or so), but my question is: how do I document the situation and possibly fight for what happened in court now or later on (damages ? reimbursement of some money we lost in this ?) ? I am trying to find some tenant helpline and such, will keep looking.

If you people out there have any ideas - let me know ! Thanks !

Gar'

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name