Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Do I have any rights as a subletter?

Posted by Nichole on May 26, 1999 at 15:49:53:

I hope someone can help me with this situation. It's sort of complicated, and I'm not sure what steps I should take in getting it resolved.

I moved into an apartment on May 1st thinking that I would be subletting my room for three months. There are two other people in the apartment, one of which I thought was on the lease. As it turns out, there never was a lease, my roomate had been there for two years with no written agreement with the landlord, only a verbal agreement that she would pay him $1850 a month. On the 18th of May she informed the landlord that she was moving out of the apartment in 30 days. He says that the agreement he had was with her only, and is now demanding that I and the other roomate move out of the apartment by the 18th of June. (I've offered to take the lease over, even with a rent hike $300, but he remains completely uncooperative.)

My question is, do I have any legal right to stay at least until the end of June? What happens if I stay past the end of June until the date I thought my sublet was over (end of July)?

If anyone has any suggestions, even of someone I could speak with about this situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Nichole

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name