Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

email is not considered valid proof in many court venues

Posted by Willard on May 27, 1999 at 13:20:10:

In Reply to: Landlord pulling a fast one posted by Joe on May 26, 1999 at 19:24:56:

Housing court on the other hand is sometimes lax about this kind of stuff so stand tall. Send a CERTIFIED letter this time stating that you beleive the landlords reply to you email null and voided his earlier request for a certified letter. Print the save email and copy those printouts to include in with your letter. State in the letter your willing to have a housing court judge decide if the landlord can't be reasonible....

Everybody should take note...if the lease stipulation says certified letter send a certified letter and stop trying to save a few bucks....

Will

: I have an unusual problem and am curious if anyone may be able to offer some advice. My lease expires on June 30 of this year, and I have a one-year option to renew. The lease specifies that I had to notify the landlord at his mailing address via certified mail sixty days in advance if I wanted to stay. I informed him through email more than sixty days in advance (and received a return receipt) that I was exercising my option. I later spoke on the phone with him and he acknowledged the email.

: Today I received a letter from a lawyer claiming that since it was an email and not certified mail as specified, the option is not valid and I have to leave or face legal consequences.

: Any thoughts? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name