Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: kicking out a roommate: Boston?

Posted by Anna on May 28, 1999 at 15:22:37:

In Reply to: Re: kicking out a roommate posted by MikeW on May 28, 1999 at 12:28:53:

Everybody: laws are diff in each CITY: please indicate city & state of apt.
this email address is from Boston
if that is where the apt is, use the search feature here to find an earlier post (within 90 days?) with a link to MA L&T info.

: I'm assuming this in NYC. If it isn't, the rules should still be fairly similar.

: Who got the apartment, deals with the LL, and pays the rent to the LL? I will assume its you. So, as far as the LL is concerned, its you're apartment. If this goes to court, you will need to prove this.

: Whether or not she said she want to leave is irrelevent to forcing her to leave. You have to give here 30 days written notice on a form you can get from housing court. It has to be done at a specific time during the month, or she can stay an extra month. If she has not left by the date stated in the notice, you will have to file for an eviction in housing court. Get a lawyer, since it is difficult, but probably not impossible, to do it yourself (if you screw things up, you'll have to refile, which will delay what is an already long process). My sister just went through this process. It took four months and cost about $350-400 in legal bills.

: : I live in an apartment with no lease. One roommate nevers pays bills on time, I have to hound her to pay them and they are always late. She told me that she dosen't want to live there anymore. How can I enforce her statement and get her out?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name