Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

yet another lease breaking question

Posted by Lea on June 11, 1999 at 23:36:32:

I'd like to move out of my rent stabilized apartment 4 and a half months early. The building's management company said I'd have to send a letter saying when I was moving. (The letter was sent with the moving date). In addition to paying the rent until the end of the lease or until the apt is rented I'd also have to pay a $150 lease breaking fee. I believe (from reading the lease) this $150 is really court fees.

If the $150 is a lease breaking fee, then I shouldn't have to pay for the remainder of the lease, right?

If the $150 is for court fees, what legal action would need to be taken if I notify the building more than 30 days before leaving? After all, There is no action being taken against me in terms of eviction.

Is there any way of getting out of paying this rent and another rent when I move?

Also, are there consequences of leaving the security deposit for the last months rent? Management said I'd have to pay last months rent and they'd decide on return of sec. dep. after evaluation of apt.

Thanks for any advice, Lea

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name