Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Condo Rental

Posted by B. Nea on June 13, 1999 at 19:25:48:

Help! We have lived in our rented condo for nearly 12 years, the landlord wanted an increase from $1350 to $1500 per month, we negotiated to $1415 and then she figured out how to defer capital gains and decided to sell. She sent us a note that she hopes our good relationship would continue, and that it would be ok to continue month to month if we agreed to a lock box (we didn't). They wanted a lock box, we said no, I'm a police officer, for many reasons, this would not work. We did promise to let the condo be shown, and have, even though we get calls from the broker at times such as 8:30 in the morning to take pictures before 9:00am. We said we would not host a 'Broker Open House', these condos are well known by the brokers, no need, and besides, we pay to live here, why do we have to do this? She mentioned that we would want a reference and that the inconvenience would affect this -- I stopped her cold. Every neighbor in the community would be happy to give reference (yes, all 50 of them) and told us so.

Anyway, the place continues to be shown, but we now received a letter certified mail from the Landlord stating as of lease end next month, the rent will now cost $400 more for a total of $1750 a month. I'm fairly certain this retaliation is rent gauging, and want to pay only my $1350. What's my options???

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name