Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Dangerous Harrassment! Where do you live?

Posted by Anna on June 23, 1999 at 12:04:59:

In Reply to: Dangerous Harrassment! posted by John on June 22, 1999 at 23:19:07:

: I live in a two family house with my wife and three children. Not only do we suspect that the landlady, enters our home when we are at work, we have now been, threatened, harrassed, and locked in! The back door exit leads down into the yard, which is fenced in on all sides, the landylady has placed a huge pad lock on the gate, trapping us inside the house. The front door, has a dead bolt lock that must be locked and unlocked with a key. In an emergency it would be impossible to unlock that door in time to escape. We have been threatened, and come home to find these people in our home, and going through our garbage!
: I want to report these actions, but I am unsure of how do this. Should I just call the police? We are affraid to leave the apartment, we do not let our children outside when we are home, we have been living like prisoners, that pay our jailers $1,100.00 a month to keep us in a locked down apartment.
: If you have any suggestions as to how we should go about reporting these matters, please let us know. We have been saving to just move out, but we are afraid to tell them of our intentions. The latest incident was when we found that the house had been intentionally infested with mice. How can we prove that?

You're asking about reporting: every city/town has its own rules. Please provide a GENERAL idea of where this prison is located, i.e. city & state/province. If NYC, also provide type of housing: single family, multiple dwelling, stabilized, coop, etc. Don't get too specific: your LL can read too!

For example: In NY, in a multiple dwelling (and probably in all housing?) it is most definitely illegal to have a door with deadbolt that requires a key from the inside. All fire exits must be able to be opened from the inside without a key.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name