Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord does not acknowledge DHCR Orders

Posted by myrna on July 20, 1999 at 01:49:27:

In 1993, DHCR found landlord responsible for "willful" rent overcharge after I charged a complaint in 1989. Our rent was reduced and landlord was required to pay back treble and a new lease was to be renewed in 1995. Landlord filed PAR.
Years later and without a lease, treble charges were reduced by DHCR's review. All throughout this period of years of disputing with landlord and awaiting DHCR's reviews, my rent continued to go up and each rent bill showed a balanced owed
and a fee of $10 dollars for each month of "late" payment. DHCR assured me that I was to continue to pay the reduced rent until landlord renewed lease. Today, according to landlord's records, I owe over $4,000 dollars of rent and for the July rent bill
he attached a $75 fee for an eviction. I called landlord's office and was advised I would not speak to him, but to a manager. Manager said the eviction was to go through because I owed money. I explained I had the documentation to prove
that the eviction would be unsubstantiated, and that I had the documents to prove. She asked for copies and told me she would remove the eviction fee and place the procedure on hold. A few years ago, another "manager" asked for the documents.
I never heard from her and she no longer works there. The landlord continues to bill me for raised rent without a lease. But, he has never refused any of my rent payments. Any suggestions? There is more to this saga, but I have highlighted
most outstanding features that underlie my worry for my future in this apartment.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name