Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

new landlord, security deposit

Posted by shirl on August 02, 1999 at 09:03:58:

I've searched the archives, but haven't found the answer to my questions.
I have been living in a rent stabilized apt for about 3 years and on received a bill from a new lanlord yesterday. The bill has the name of the old management company on the envelope and on the bill. The bill indicates to send this month's rent money to the new PO Box of the new management company.

1. My question is: is this adequate notice/evidence of the new building owner? There is no phone # and no other written documents were ever sent or posted about the building being sold or taken over by new company. So far there are only rumours that it was sold.

2. Also, there was a charge tacked on to the bill for $25, for what it does not specify. I am assuming I should send only the rent money with a request for an explanation of the charges. My suspicion is that this may be the security deposit increase that I owe, but was never asked for, however, it is not the exact amount.

3. I have gone through so many problems with this landlord, including losing a rent overcharge battle (where I believe he faked receipts, but the Rent Admin would not hear of it) and having to deal with his lack of response to repair problems, that I never thought about the security deposit up until now--
The third question is, if they never gave any indication of placing the security deposit in an interest bearing account, then does that mean they never did? It sounds like this is something that the tenants must always initiate (as usual)? How can we be SURE that the new landlord will get our security deposits?

4. My last question is when is rent considered late? I asked DHCR a long time ago and they said if they do not receive it by the end of the month. My lease says they want it by the 3rd of the month.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name