Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I just found out that my apt.is illegal (rent dispute has been going on for 6 mos.)

Posted by cecy on August 03, 1999 at 18:58:38:

Hi !
I had posted a while ago...6 apts. in my building in SI had been robbed whoever entered had a key
to all of the apts. Well I stopped paying rent in March and the landlord was in the process of getting me
evicted due to non payment I was counter suing him for the amount of my loss due to the robbery. The judge
accepted my order to show cause w/ his negligance. The judge even went as far as
having the police reports from other apts. (also robbed) supeoned. (sp?)
I just found out that he has since dropped the case because of incorrect information on the court papers
(ie. 4 room apt. on the second floor) When I really live in a 2 room apt. in the basement. He stated that he will be
starting up a new eviction case in a few days. I had been meaning to visit the Dept. of buildings since my LL
kept stating that I live in a condo - I always thought that it was an apt. Well I finally got there yesterday
and found out that my building should be registered as a Multiple Dwelling But it is Not. Any idea's on what I should
do about this ? The women at the DOB told me to me to make sure that I tell the judge
that it is improperly registered. How / Can it help me in court ?
Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name