Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Verbal eviction notice [posted by Mark Smith]

Posted by DA Lester on August 17, 1999 at 12:40:41:

[THIS MESSAGE NEVER APPEARED ON THE MESSAGE BOARD, BUT ARRIVED IN TENANT NET DIGEST]

=============================================

HELP!

I am currently sub-letting, and was told, that once the person who I am sub-letting from moved out, I could take over the lease. I was very upfront about the fact that I have a small dog. I was told by this person that would be ok.

Well, as you have probably guessed, she lied. Out she went, in I came with the dog, down swooped the nazi-super, and now the landlord has told my room-mate and me that we are being evicted. As I understand things, he cannot do this without proper written notice.

I apologized and explained that the other girl had lied and that I would search for another apartment immediately. Well, a week has gone by and now the threatening phone calls have started.
Basically, I have not signed the lease. Do I have any rights? What are my room-mates rights? I am hoping to be out by the first, but as you know most landlords in this area seem to think that a dog is the sign of the devil and refuse to rent to me. I have applied for a place, but the process is time consuming and there is no guarantee that I will get it. Also, I have paid Aug rent and he cashed my check. Does anyone have any suggestions???????

DA Lester

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name