Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Getting rid of an impossible roommate

Posted by Tamara Inglis on September 02, 1999 at 14:31:29:

Hi...
I've been living in a house in Suffolk County for 5 years with different roommates at different times. The initial setup was that the landlord would collect the rent from each of us.
As I've been there that long, the landlord has left finding roommates and collecting the rent up to me. We don't have a lease or written agreement, but he trusts my judgement regarding who I take in as a
roommate.
The problem is that one roommate, who was to move out at the end of August, decided to stay(she's lived here for 1 year now)
I want her out because she has her boyfriend there all the time, but she refuses to leave and has paid this month's rent to the landlord directly instead of giving it to me. The landlord asked me wheter I wanted him to give back the check, and I said "yes".
However, he says that there is nothing he can do to her legally. The 2 other people living there were chosen by me and have just moved in. All the bills are in my name, and the "hold-over roommate" is refusing to pay her share of any
of the bills. She is planning on paying the rent only to the landlord.
I need to know what my remedies are, since I cannot afford nor do I want to move out. Should I insist on a rental agreement or lease from the landlord? Would that give me more authority?
Would I be able to force her to leave, legally if I have a rental agreement with the landlord with only my name on the lease or agreement?
The landlord doesn't want to lose me as a tenant(he had never met this girl before this situation); should I "force" his hand?
Speedy suggestions are really appreciated,

Thank you

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name