Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LEASE WZS UP ON 8/31 LANDLORD ENTERED 8/27: NEED ADVISE

Posted by DK on September 03, 1999 at 15:20:28:

In Reply to: LEASE WZS UP ON 8/31 LANDLORD ENTERED 8/27: NEED ADVISE posted by PAUL on September 02, 1999 at 23:47:49:

: ON AUG 31 AT NOON MY LEASE WAS TO EXPIRE ON AUG 27 THE LANDLORD ENTERED AND PERFORMED AN INSPECTION AND NICKLE AND DIMED ME FOR 240 OF A 250 DEPOSIT. DOES HE HAVE THE RIGHT TO ENTER MY PREMISES WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE AND DO ALTERATIONS AND OR CLEANING AND CHARGE ME FOR THESE AND GO AGAINST MY DEPOSIT. I LIVE IN PA AND ANY INFO WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATEDS. I WAS ALSO NOT GIVEN ANY INTEREST ON MY DEPOSIT FOR THE 6 MONTHS OF MY LEASE IS THIS ALSO ANY FACTOR?

I really do not know what the law is in Pennsylvania. On the TenantNet home page you may be able to find a link to a Pennsylvania tenants organization.
Your lease may give the landlord the right to enter and do what he did. Read the fine print. I have no idea whether such a provision would be enforceable in PA.

Usually, a tenant is allowed reasonable "wear and tear" on the premises and usually the premises do not have to be spotless, but only "broom clean." Again, I do not know what the custom is in PA. If a New York City landlord did that, I would advise you to sue in small claims court.

Many states (not NY) give a tenant triple damages when the landlord improperly fails to return a security deposit.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name